top of page
castle of the counts of Bryas
In 1689, the Bryas family built this vast residence on the ruins of an old castle. Sold in 1815 to an entrepreneur who established a whitewash and chicory factory, it became, in 1837, the property of the Sainte-Anne slate company until 1946, then administrative city from 1951 to the present day. The park was dominated by a sequoia donated by Lafayette on his return from the Americas. Note the presence of a Russian terminal and a gigantic underground Gothic room. This castle has been listed in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments since 1972.