top of page
FUMAY DANS LE TEMPS
Parcourez le temps et découvrez les dates clés qui ont façonnées l'histoire de fumay
830

First mention of Fumay

Construction du château des comtes de Bryas

Dernière partie du couvent des carmélites

XIII ème S

First written traces concerning the fortifications of Fumay

XV ème S

Supposed date of construction of the first church(without further details)

Mi XV ème 

Consolidation of the fortifications of Fumay by the Duke of Nevers carrying the cross of Saint-André

1554

Destruction of part of the fortifications after a French raid led by the Duke of Nevers

1610

First steps for the installation of a convent of Jeronimos monks (order of Saint-Jérôme), installed in 1612

1630

Installation of a Carmelite convent

1633

Destruction of the fortifications and the castle by order of Louis XIII

Début
18ème

Construction of the castle of the Counts of Bryas

Last part of the Carmelite convent

1740

Inauguration of the town hall located on the first floor of the hall

1748

Construction of a school by the city(function that the house will retain until 1825)

1749

Construction of a communal brewery

1749

Construction of a communal brewery

1825

  The city buys two buildings to install schools there (convent and location of the current town hall)

1828

The castle of the counts of Bryas is bought by the slate company of the Sainte-Anne mill

1840

Construction of the Fumay-Haybes bridge

1849

Construction of a temporary hospital

1852

Road development

Revin to Fumay

1862

Start of the railway. Construction of the first house in the workers' estate by Eugène Boucher, as well as a private school.

1870
Construction of the asylum room rue de Prousse (current street of the shots)
1871
Start of construction of the new church
1876
Destruction of the municipal brewery and end of construction of the current church
1877
Construction of the Malcotte hospice
1880
Canalization of the Meuse river
1882
Drafting of a project for the construction of a communal slaughterhouse, suppressed in 1884 for problem of legislation.
1886
Construction of a metal bridge between Fumay and Haybes, replacing the first wooden bridge
1890
Boys' school planned to accommodate 500 students
(current college)
School Avenue opening
(now rue Jules Perlaux)
1891
Construction of the free boys' school
1892
New town hall and destruction of the market hall
1893
The Boucher factory (glassware) becomes the Pied-Selle factories SA
1894
The factory school of Pied-Selle becomes a public school
1895
Construction of the hospital as an extension of the hospice
1896
  • Sale of a plot of land in the Saint-Joseph gap for the construction of a foundry: Ardennes cast iron seems to have ceased its activity shortly before the 1st World War
  • Secularization of girls' school and request to open free school classes
  • Request from the city to open a complementary course at the boys' school. The asylum hall acquires the status of a kindergarten
1897
  • Foundation of the general partnership of the J. Bidez and C. Haller foundry
    (after Delétang's death and takeover)
  • Construction of a free girls' school
1898
  • Construction of a footbridge allowing easier access to the municipal school for boys
1899
  • Attachment of the city to the departmental telephone network. Merger of the girls' school and the kindergarten
1904
  • Closure of schools run by religious congregations (Law 0/7-1904)
1905
  • Construction of a post office on the Route de Givet (destroyed during the 1st World War)
  • Boys' school expansion project, largely amputated (classroom layouts)
  • Extension of the girls' school
1906
  • Construction of the Perlaux hospital as an extension of the Malcotte hospice
1906
  • Creation of an enamel workshop on the Route de Saint-Joseph
  • Supposed reopening of two free schools
  • Bidez and Haller becomes a public limited company
  • Partial sale for the creation of an enamel factory (end of activity in 1970) buildings destroyed
1908
  • Construction of a communal slaughterhouse
  • Construction of a bridge leading to the Saint-Joseph slate pit (destroyed then redone after 14-18 and definitively destroyed in 1939)
  • Construction of the savings bank hotel
1912
  • Construction of the girls' school in Charnois
  • Installation of bolts (M. Badot). Ceases all activity in 1975
1921
  • Sale of land for the SA des foundries et enamelries de Fumay (cessation of activity around 1962) Saint-Joseph gap
1928
  • Construction of a building at the boys' school to establish a vocational course
1931
  • Construction of washhouses and street openings for unemployed workers employed by the city
1937
  • Construction of the Sainte-Thérèse chapel (Charnois)
  • Construction of showers
1946
  • Sale of the Sainte-Anne office castle to Count Grouard de Tocqueville, industrialist from Revin
1951
  • Sale of the castle to the city (administrative center: post office, collection and direct taxes)
1953
  • Construction of a girls' school as an extension of the boys' school (current college) and closure of the school located in the former Carmelite convent)
1965
  • Agreement signed between the state and the city of Fumay for the transformation of the general education college into CES)
1971
  • Closure of the last two slate quarries in Fumay (Renaissance and Saint-Joseph)
1971
  • Beginning of the sales of workers' houses in the city to their occupants
bottom of page