OF THE DECEASED
The operation of the grave of the dead began around 1680, but only took on its full
extent from 1757. The drainage (water evacuation) was done using horses. In 1771,
an atmospheric machine called "newcomen" was installed. This fire pump, built by
Belgian mechanics, made it possible to overcome the floods and to relaunch the most
important production in the city center before 1789. Its imposing Verdeau remains
the clear proof of this intense slate activity.